CIPA Meeting June 5, 2008
Cumulative Impacts and Precautionary Approaches Meeting June 5, 2008
This is the first meeting of the cumulative impacts and precautionary approaches (CIPA) workgroup. The Work Group was created to bring stakeholder input in the development of CalEPA's cumulative impact and precautionary approaches guidance documents. The meeting was announced on May 5, 2008.
Information on Work Group
Work Group members are expected to serve from approximately March 2008 through August 2009.
The Work Group application was announced September 4, 2007 and the deadline for application was extended to October 15, 2007.
Background Information about Cumulative Impacts and Precautionary Policies in California and at CalEPA:
- California Environmental Protection Agency Environmental Justice Action Plan (2004)
- Adopted Working Definitions of Cumulative Impacts and Precautionary Approaches
- Cal/EPA Environmental Justice Advisory Committee: Narrative on Cumulative Impacts
- Recommendations of the Cal/EPA Environmental Justice Advisory Committee to the Interagency Working Group on Environmental Justice. Final Report (September 30, 2003)
- Air Quality and Land Use Handbook: A Community Health Perspective (California Air Resources Board, 2005)
- Environmental Justice in California State Government (Office of Planning and Research, 2003)
- General Environmental Justice Related Provisions of California Law
Background Information (Federal Efforts to Address Cumulative Impacts):
- Framework for Cumulative Risk Assessment (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2003)
- Ensuring Risk Reduction in Communities with Multiple Stressors: Environmental Justice and Cumulative Risks/Impacts (National Environmental Justice Advisory Council, 2004)
Relevant Research: Mini-Monograph on Cumulative Risk Assessment (Environmental Health Perspectives, May 2007):
- “If Cumulative Risk Assessment Is the Answer, What Is the Question?” by Michael A. Callahan and Ken Sexton
- “A Phased Approach for Assessing Combined Effects from Multiple Stressors” by Charles A. Menzie, Margaret M. MacDonell, and Moiz Mumtaz
- “Vulnerability as a Function of Individual and Group Resources in Cumulative Risk Assessment” by Peter L. deFur, Gary W. Evans, Elaine A. Cohen Hubal, Amy D. Kyle, Rachel A. Morello-Frosch, and David R. Williams
- “Assessing Cumulative Health Risks from Exposure to Environmental Mixtures—Three Fundamental Questions” by Ken Sexton and Dale Hattis
- “Using Biomarkers to Inform Cumulative Risk Assessment” by P. Barry Ryan, Thomas A. Burke, Elaine A. Cohen Hubal, Jerome J. Cura, and Thomas E. McKone