Fish Resource Links
- USEPA/FDA Recommendations for Fish Consumption
- USEPA/FDA Commercial Fish Advice
- Department of Fish and Game Sport Fish Regulation Books
- Department of Public Health Fish Information
- Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Fish Mercury Project
- Southern California Fish Contamination Education Collaborative
Fish are nutritious and good for you to eat.
- But some fish you catch may take in toxic chemicals from the water in which they live and the food they eat.
- Some of these chemicals build up in the fish - and in you - over time.
OEHHA provides specific consumption advice for fish taken from many water bodies in California. Check the Safe Eating Guidelines for more information.
- These fish advisories are not meant to discourage you from eating fish.
- Eating fish confers health benefits
- Fish are an excellent source of protein and are low in saturated fats.
- Fish contain omega-3 fatty acids that can reduce your risk for heart disease and improve how the brain develops in unborn babies and children.
Safe Eating Guidelines - consumption advice for fish from many water bodies in California
Advisory map - water bodies with fish consumption advisories in California
General Advice - Because contamination levels are unknown for other locations, OEHHA also provides General Advice on how to reduce your exposure to chemicals in sport fish—fish that you and your family or friends catch.