CalEnviroScreen Version 2.0
The Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA), on behalf of the California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA), announces the availability of the California Communities Environmental Health Screening Tool: CalEnviroScreen Version 2.0 (CalEnviroScreen 2.0). CalEnviroScreen is a screening methodology that can be used to help identify California communities that are disproportionately burdened by multiple sources of pollution.CalEPA has used the tool to designate California communities as disadvantaged pursuant to Senate Bill 535.
The tool was updated in October 2014 to include additional data along the US-Mexico border. Information on the update is described in the Summary of Major Changes and in the SB 535 Response to Public Comments.
Press Release - CalEPA Finalizes Major Update of Environmental Health Screening Tool: CalEnviroScreen 2.0 to Help Direct Investments to Disadvantaged Communities
CalEnviroScreen 2.0 Report:
- California Communities Environmental Health Screening Tool Report (CalEnviroScreen 2.0, updated October 2014)
- Summary of Major Changes in CalEnviroScreen 2.0 (Updated October 2014)
- Instrumento De Evaluación De La Salud Ambiental En Las Comunidades De California, Versión 2.0 (CalEnviroScreen 2.0)
- Principales Cambios en CalEnviroScreen 2.0
Downloadable data available at the bottom of this page.
Map of CalEnviroScreen 2.0 results. Click to open in a new window.
Map of Pollution Burden Indicators. Click to open in a new window.
Map of Population Characteristic Indicators. Click to open in a new window.
CalEnviroScreen 2.0 Data
CalEnviroScreen data is made available in several different formats:
- Microsoft Excel spreadsheet: A spreadsheet showing raw data and calculated percentiles for individual indicators and combined CalEnviroScreen scores for individual census tracts with additional demographic information: CES20UpdateOct2014.xlsx
- Google Earth file: A file which can be opened using the free Google Earth application to view results in map format (Google Earth may be downloaded here): CalEnviroScreen2.0.kmz
- Shapefile: Includes CalEnviroScreen 2.0 results by census tract. Additional information describing the data and its limitations is part of the shapefile (metadata). Zipped file can be unzipped, and then opened in any GIS software.
- ArcGIS Geodatabase: (October 2014) Includes CalEnviroScreen 2.0 results by census tract. Additional information describing the data and its limitations is part of the geodatabase (metadata). A zipped file which can be unzipped, then opened using ArcGIS software to view the results in a File Geodatabase Feature Class format (ArcGIS is a paid subscription)
For questions, please contact CalEnviroScreen@oehha.ca.gov